- About Us
- The CMC Program
- Contact Us
"Dear Steve and Sas... I just wanted to convey to you how amazing Kavanah really was. I've made these insane bonds with the other kids on the trip that I wouldn't have even experienced back at camp. We were helping others while we were in Roseburg but we were also helping ourselves by learning so much about who we are as individuals. I'm so glad that this program is now a part of camp because it is truly a life changing experience"
- Claire Wengrod, Kavanah Alum
"After having this amazing experience, when I return to CMC as a staff member, the experience I have gained during my summer in Kavanah will most definitely be brought to every other project I come in contact with for the rest of my life."
- Maya Reisman, Kavanah Alum
Camp Mountain Chai offers an unforgettable service-learning focused trip to the Dominican Republic for teens entering 11th grade. Teens will experience meaningful volunteer opportunities through a myriad of local service organizations. While physically building within the host community, they will be fostering and developing their own tight-knit community.
The Kavanah program develops leadership skills in our campers so that they can more effectively assume leadership roles in school, camp, and later on in life. Our teens will live, work, and play together, creating a strong bond of friendship and community. They will be joined by returning Camp Mountain Chai staff members who will also live and work with our teens, providing guidance, leadership, and supervision.
Upon completion of their travels our Kavanah’niks will travel back to CMC bringing stories and experiences to share with the campers and staff at camp. Let us not forgot it’s at this time when tears will be shed and the bonds/experiences created over these past few weeks will show their true power! This trip is certain to be an experience none of these kids will ever forget!
• Volunteer at a Day Camp for local youth through the UN Award Winning DREAM Project
• Explore and learn about the Jewish community of Sosua at the Jewish Museums of Sosua
• Learn about the conflict and relations between the DR and Haiti
• Come together with the universal language of soccer with Haitian youth
• La Boca Jungle Tour river boat cruise and Bachata Show
• Monkey Jungle and Zipline
• Standup Paddle Boarding in the Atlantic ocean
• Laguna Gri Gri tour and Playa Grande
• Shabbat with the local Jewish community
• Hike in El Choco National Park and swim in a water-filled cave
• Dinner with a local baseball coach to learn about the impact of baseball in the DR society
• Tour and learn about sustainable farming in Los Brazos
• Cable Car tour of Teleferico
• 4 Days, 4 Nights at CMC including Shabbat
• Hotel (1.5 blocks from beach with swimming pool, WiFi, air-conditioning, etc.)
• All meals (kosher or pescatarian)
• Local medical insurance, does not cover pre-existing conditions
• 1 scheduled laundry service
• Professional Tour Guides and CMC Staff